Friday, February 17, 2012

Chuck Smith on Peter Popoff



And I got this letter the other day, some guy named Popoff. And here's a personal prophecy in the thing, "Thus saith the Lord, I am pleased with thee and I am going to bless thee" you know, and just share the blessing kind of a thing, you know, and all of this stuff.

Well, I wrote him back a letter and I said, "Thus saith the Lord, I am against the false prophets that prophesy in my name saying 'Thus saith the Lord' when I have not spoken" and I knew that the Lord was saying it because I was just quoting him right out of the word. But then I added my own little appendage, I didn't put this under the 'thus saith the Lord'. But I put under my own little appendage "thy name has been Popoff but even as the name of Saul was changed to Paul so your name is to be changed from Popoff to Rip-off". No doubt my name will be deleted from his mailing list shortly.

But there are a lot of rip-off artists who are going around disguising themselves as prophets of God. And as I said, God doesn't appreciate a person speaking for him when he hasn't spoken. And thus the false prophets in those days were to be put to death.
[1]

Some of these men are absolute frauds such as Peter Popoff, who was being coached by his wife reading the cards in another room of the person's conditions. He had a small receiver in his ear. He would call people out of the audience and begin to describe their conditions, and they would be healed. In their minds they had set a point for the release of their faith. If or when he calls out my name, I know that God will touch me. [2]

No comments:

Post a Comment