Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Juan Enriquez: Will our kids be a different species?




I could not find all of the photos he used, but below is an evolutionary understanding of the human family tree. [1]


As you can see you have the four major genus of hominids: Ardipithecus, Australopithecus, Paranthropus, and Homo.  Here is how Answers in Genesis organizes the tree.[2]  


Dewitt divides Homo, because he argues that egaster, erectus, heidelbergensis, neanderthalensis are fully human.   Though not mentioned, he would most likely include floresiensis and denisovans (Denisovans are not even listed on the Smithsonian tree). He then places habilis, rudolferinesis, plus Kenyanthropus platyops into a rudolferinesis group.  Most YEC will not go further than egaster, because they find rudolferinesis too ape like.  However there was some uproar when an Answers in Genesis baraminologist not only stated that habilis and rudolferinesis were human, but also Australopithecus sediba.[3]


This was later rebuffed by Answers in Genesis, largely on biblical grounds rather than scientific objection.[4]  Anyways I finally get to the purpose of this blog.  Enriquez shows this image in his talk. 


  
Obviously, I am not an anthropologist, but I do not remember reading that erectus coexisted with Homo sapiens.  I do not have the book he cited, but I did check the website.


This was the best I could find and it coincides with what I had already read.[5]


Obviously, he made many great points about the new genome project and the ethical questions that come with possibly finding out more about human diversity.  Yet I have been meaning to blog about this for a while and Enriquez gave me somewhat of an excuse.





No comments:

Post a Comment