Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gelato Mio outstandingly apologizes for their mistake

If you cannot read the sign, it says
Skepticon is NOT Welcomed to my Christian Business
Skepticon is a conference in Springfield, Missouri for the Skeptic's movement.  Skepticism is the philosophy of applying the scientific method and the detection of logical fallacies to your life.  However the movement is increasingly becoming dominated by atheists.  Just looking at this year's speaking guests I see a number of popular atheists: Dan Baker, Greta Christina, Jen McCreight, Hemant Mehta, PZ Myers, David Silverman, and Rebecca Watson.[1] Over a thousand are said to have attended this year and the facility housing the conference refused to put "Skepticon" on the marquee.[2]  I will let the owner of Gelato Mio explain the sign.


RE Letter in the Window:

To the Public: I sincerely apologize for the posting of the note in the window. It was an impulse reaction to an event that I witnessed and it was only up for a few minutes before I came to my senses and realized it shouldn't have been up at all.

So you know, nobody was turned away and everyone was given the same high level of service they have come to expect. Out of the hundreds of event attendees that I served on Friday and Saturday, all of them were extremely polite and enjoyed their time in my restaurant. The event that greatly offended me was conducted by one man and I shouldn't have reacted the way I did.

Even small business owners make mistakes, and I sincerely apologize to those whom I offended.

All the Best,

Andy-
[3][4]

Kudos to him.  The real reason that I am posting this is that I love when people admit their mistakes and repent.  He made a mistake for a few minutes and he took the sign down.  There are few things more Christian than confession and repentance.  

PS - One of the speakers, PZ Myers says that the local businesses gave them a 10% conference discount.[5]

Update 10:22pm

PSS- I have seen a number of people noting that what he did may have been very illegal.  The Civil Rights Act of 1964 Title II Sec 201 says in part
All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.[6]
Though he did not single out atheists/non-theists he did for a few minutes forbid Skepticon attendees from eating his gelato.  These attendees were seemingly forbidden for being non-Christian from eating at his Christian business.  This is very illegal and a crime.  However no one was actually forbidden.  He made the sign in a moment of haste and took it down in a repentance of reason.  We all would not want to be judged by our worst moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment