Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bishop Colenso and the Zulu

When I was reading The Woman's Bible a month or so ago, the story of Bishop Colenso stuck out to me.



Stories like this get you in trouble.  I am not a Victorian missionary to Zululand.  I have never been a missionary to anywhere.  I am not a converted Zulu reading this verse for the first time.  Also, we have to put Colenso into context.  He was already having doubts before this.  So when I say that "I cannot imagine as a 21st century American citizen (blogging on a computer, long after sundown), what it would be like to be a 19th century missionary to Zululand", that should be obvious on the outset.  Still the story took the 19th century by storm and it is not hard to imagine (there I go again) why.  Here is a reference to Colenso's own account.

No comments:

Post a Comment