Monday, May 12, 2014

He looked just like us

This weekend, I was flipping through Ken and Mally Ham's A is for Adam: The Gospel from Genesis (Spiral Bound).  Now I make no bones on this blog about the fact that I am not a "biblical creationist", so you can imagine that I did not agree with a lot of the book.  Still one thing struck me.  I know that it is a children's book, but Adam is depicted as a white man with a beard and shoulder length hair.  Then the book tells the reader that, "He wasn't a monkey, he looked just like us."

I know that this is a children's book and I do not want to make the same mistake that some "biblical creationists" make when they take a children's book and try to make a mountain out of the author's attempt to simplify a subject (see Carl Kerby).  I do not wish to argue whether man is a Homo sapien, hominid, or primate.  What struck me was the phrase "he looked just like us".  I discussed this briefly in a post, Contradictory Messages.

Homo erectus
Like Ray, the Hams believe that both individuals in this picture are fully human and I suspect they believe that both could have been what Adam looked like.  It seems a little misleading for the authors to depict Adam as a Homo sapien who "looked just like us" when they also believe that he did not have to "look just like us."

No comments:

Post a Comment