Saturday, May 3, 2014

What are you trusting God for?

My head has been a little twisted. I am reading Virginian secessionist/unionist Civil War arguments while paying attention to the mess out in Nevada.  This argument for Virginia's secession sticks out.
God means, through the instrumentality of African slavery, to accomplish His great purpose of Christianizing and civilizing that race. You may throw impediments in the way, and thereby bring down punishment on your own hands, but you cannot stop it…Every consideration of duty, of interest, of high Christian moral obligation, conspires to make us cause Virginia to secede at once, settle our difficulties peaceably afterwards, if we can – and if we cannot, forcibly.

If I find that you will not go with me, if you are determined to wait, wait, wait,…I will…go with you for the next plan which I think will best promote the great object I have in view…I mean to stand by my principles and doctrines to the bitter end. If that day shall come – which God in his mercy avert – when you and I will have to be exiled or yield to this horde of Northern Vandals,…I will not be exiled…I will stand on the shores of my own native Rappahannock, and there I will fall…I will die in Virginia, and trust to God and to posterity to vindicate what is just and what is right. ~ Robert Montague – April 1861 [1]
The phrase "Trust God" (or in this case "trust to God") means very little.  The question is the value and validity about what you are trusting God for.

[1] Freehling, William W. and Craig M. Simpson, ed. Showdown in Virginia The 1861 Convention and the Fate of the Union (Charlottesville; University of Virginia Press, 2010) 120-121

No comments:

Post a Comment