Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Quotes X (T.J. Lives and so does Sowcrates)

Could I climb the highest place in Athens, I would lift up my voice and proclaim, 'Fellow citizens, why do you turn and scrape every stone to gather wealth and take so little care of your children to whom you must one day relinquish all?' - Socrates

"In general, I am of opinion, that till the age of about sixteen, we are best employed on languages; Latin, Greek; French, and Spanish, or such of them as we can... Of the languages I have mentioned, I think Greek the least useful." - Thomas Jefferson to J. W. Eppes, 1787

"Indeed, no translation can be [an adequate representation of the excellences of the original]." -Thomas Jefferson to A. L. C. Destutt de Tracy, 1811

"People generally have more feeling for canals and roads than education. However, I hope we can advance them with equal pace." -Thomas Jefferson to Joel Barlow, 1807

"I have indeed two great measures at heart, without which no republic can maintain itself in strength: 1. That of general education, to enable every man to judge for himself what will secure or endanger his freedom. 2. To divide every county into hundreds, of such size that all the children of each will be within reach of a central school in it." --Thomas Jefferson to John Tyler, 1810.

No comments:

Post a Comment