Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A passage from John Leland's Autobiography


I was reading through early American preacher John Leland's biography.  This paragraph struck me.
I am now in the decline of life, having lived nearly two-thirds of a century.  When Jacob had lived twice as long, his days had been few and evil.  I have spent my years like a tale that is told.  Looking over the foregoing narrative [his autobiography] , there is proof enough of imperfection; and yet what I have written is the best part of my life.  A history seven times as large might be written of my error in judgment, incorrectness of behavior and baseness of heart.  My only hope of acceptance with God, is in the blood and righteousness of Jesus Christ.  And when I come to Christ for pardon I come as an old grey headed sinner; in the language of the publican, "God be merciful to me a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment