Friday, July 20, 2012

Context matters...you didn't build that...part 2

http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=33411
I recently wrote a post about how some were misrepresenting the President's recent speech at Roanoke, Virginia.  I mentioned that the theme in question was one of the President's common themes.  I found another example from a November 30, 2011 speech given at Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Now, I mean, I don’t want to exaggerate. It’s not like they’re volunteering. (Laughter.) But if they’re asked, if they feel like it’s going to help middle-class families, help grow the economy, help to reduce the deficit, they’re willing to help. I can’t tell you how many well-to-do folks I meet who say, look, America gave me a chance to succeed. Somewhere along the line, somebody gave me a good education. Somewhere along the line, somebody gave me a college scholarship. Somewhere along the line, somebody built the information and transportation networks that have helped my business grow. Somewhere along the line, somebody gave me a shot. And so now it’s my turn to do the next generation that same good thing. I’ve got to give something back to them as well. (Applause.) [1]

I was challenged to find an example where the President diminished his own accomplishments, by crediting others with his successes.  I hope this counts.  

Again his point is that we all have had help along the way.

PS - Supposedly, he stole this idea from this video of Elizabeth Warren.





No comments:

Post a Comment