Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Quotes XXIII

"Every definition is dangerous." ~ Desiderius Erasmus (1466-1536)

It is an illusion to seek the company of sinners on the pretence of reforming them, or of converting them; it is far more to be feared that they will spread their poison to us. ~ St. Gregory Nazianzen, died 389 This is one of the fears that keeps me up nights. Supposedly my study of athiesm is supposed to make me into an athiest. If I read the Greek Fathers, I am supposed to become a universalist. (Sorry Gregory) I want to read God Delusion and the Mormon Presidents this year. I pray that St. Gregory is not talking about me.

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish Church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. They found it wrong in Bishops, but fell into the practice themselves both here (England) and in New England." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." ~ John Adams

"In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot ... they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purpose." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Difference of opinion is advantageous in religion." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate. ~ Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment